School, a means of cultural democratization:
We are convinced that school remains the best place to reduce inequality and promote the democratization of culture.
The objective of this 6th Marrakech Biennale is to establish a project called Patrimony Pedagogy based on the theme “cultural and natural patrimony in the hands of youth”.
For this reason, it is essential for us to suggest a varied cultural offer in schools and precisely to intervene in disadvantaged neighborhoods of the city of Marrakech and its region.
The idea of this program is to suggest a singular experience of harmonization between pedagogy, patrimony and aesthetic. By the bias of contemporary creation, it is about a moment of discovering practices and artistic techniques and the awareness of the path to go through between the definition of an idea and its outcome.
Beneficiaries of this program:
- About 3000 students from public schools of Marrakech and its region (Alouidane, Tassoultant, Tamesloht et Tahanaout) who benefit from guided visits to exhibitions.
- 20 students – mediators. Among the 50 students of Cadi Ayyad University (Master of culture occupations and Master of Linguistics and Advanced English) will be hosted on stage of Biennale, 20 were selected and will be trained for the cultural mediation to assure the visits of public schools students of Marrakech and its region.
The visits suggested to the students will be focused on reflection, creativity and human development, on the notion of safeguarding and protecting the cultural, natural and immaterial Patrimony.
Since its creation, Biennale Marrakech wishes to be an integral player of the structure of the city, by promoting dialogue and cultural diversity, and by sensitizing the public to the notion of Marrakech Cultural Patrimony and to contemporary art.
Also, each visit allows discovering a historical monument of Marrakech, its natural environment and the exhibition with a focus on a particular artist.
Convinced of the essential role of children in the construction of tomorrow’s world, we wish to be open to dialogue and to the cultural diversity, we have focused our visits on reflection, creativity and human development of students.
The program missions “Patrimony Pedagogy”
- A cultural mission: sensitizing towards material and immaterial natural patrimony, meeting an audience, reinforcing the identity of the city of Marrakech on patrimony, culture of art.
- An entertainment mission: acquiring a space and time to diversify the cultural offer and to create a dynamic of entertainment in different places: schools, high schools, neighborhood associations, youth centers and other public places.
- A mediation mission: establishing bridges between the different spaces, urban, scholastic, associative and artistic.
Pedagogical objectives of the program “Patrimony Pedagogy”:
- Knowing the cultural/ natural patrimony and its multiple aspects;
- Sensitizing and engaging the children of Marrakech and its region in the necessity of its protection and its valorization;
- Evoking curiosity, development of creativity, autonomy and critical spirit of each children;
- Being conscious of a common cultural activity and the cultural diversity of Morocco;
- Help to understanding a responsible citizenship.
List of schools
22 schools were selected in coordination with Marrakech Regional Academy of Formation and Education. 3 classrooms of each school will benefit of a guided visit to a monument or exhibition.
Urban Schools and middle schools :
• Madrassat El Firdaous
• Madrassat la princesse Lalla Amina
• Madrassat Mimoun Oum El Mouminine
• Ahmed Rachidi
• El Maoukif
• Idriss Al Aoual
• Ibn Youssef
• Sidi Ben Soulayman
• Madrassat El Badii
• El Mansour Eddahabi
• El Ayoun
• Tarek BnouZiad
• Mohamed V
• Al Laymoun
• Ahmed Chaouki
Rural schools and primary schools
• Collège Al Ouidane
• Madrassat Le 20 aout
• Collège Al Chourfa
• Collège Abdellah Ben Hussein
• Madrassat Oued Addahab
• Collège Toubkal